Bolts are defined as ‘a form of threaded fastener with an external male thread’. These are small pieces of metal which finds application in different fields. A popular type of bolt is the foundation bolt. These are basically manufactured for industrial use. The basic distinction of foundation bolts lies in their unusually long male thread. They are barely used in any household or corporation setups. Foundation bolts, as the name suggests, is used for the foundation equipment of an industrial set-up. Let us discuss in details some of the features over the foundation bolts.
Features of Foundation Bolts
Foundation bolts are easy to spot in industries. The bolts and nuts combination which holds large equipment can be easily distinguished as a foundation bolt. Mostly they are manufactured as per the specifications provided by individual industries. However some standardisation is maintained while manufacturing foundation bolts. The standardised measures are –
Standard measures of Foundation Bolts –
Finish- Polished finishing
Material- Pure Metal like Iron
Size(mm) – 12 mm to 65 mm diameter (as per industrial requirement )
Thread – Coarse and Fine
Advantages of Foundation Bolts
There are many features for which more and more industries are adapting to foundation bolts. The foundation bolts have greater advantages over regular bolts. They are specifically manufactured for different types of industries including the power plants. Here are some of the advantages of foundation bolts.
- Strongly built – The Foundation Bolts are built in a such a way that they have a high longevity. It can last up to ten to fifteen years.
- Easy to install – Despite having a long male thread, these Foundation Bolts are easy to set up in comparison to other bolts. These come in a bulk of similar sizes, so installing them is easier.
- High strength – The material used for manufacturing Foundation Bolts is pure metal. Mostly iron is used. Iron provides great strength to withstand large loads.
- Corrosion resistant – The Foundation Bolts come with a layer of rust-resistant coating. This coating acts as a shield. Even if it the bolts are exposed to air and water, the layer prevents the bolts from rusting.
- Abrasion resistance – Foundation Bolts are so built that they have a high abrasion resistance.
- Withstands high temperature and pressure – The main advantage of foundation bolts is that they can withstand high pressure and temperature. So if an industry requires bolts which will be exposed to extreme conditions, foundation bolts suit the best.
Disadvantages of Foundation Bolts
- Special nuts needs to be manufactured – As the foundation bolts are of unusual lengths, nuts of corresponding sizes are required to fit them into. Thus separate nuts are manufactured especially for these unique bolts.
- Cannot be used in small industrial set ups – Foundation Bolts are long pieces of metals which are used to keep together large equipment. The small industrial set ups are not quite a suitable area for using these long pieces.
- Requires extra manufacturing charges – As the requirements of different industries are not the same, manufacturing costs of the foundation bolts are higher than regular bolts.
Applications of Foundation Bolts
Foundation Bolts, as discussed above, mainly finds its use in the big industries. They are used for various reasons in industries. The large containers, utensils, tanks, metallic frames and other equipment needs these foundation bolts to keep them together. They are basically required to build up the foundation of an industry. In some cases, they can be even seen in the bridge settings or big power plants. The application of these bolts are even seen in some constructions like towers and large tanks.
Foundation bolts are seen in many places. These bolts can be expensive but they serve an important purpose in the industrial world. Manufacturers sell them in single units or according to metric tons. They are usually purchased in a bulk to maintain the uniformity. The specialised nuts are also manufactured to fit them perfectly. Foundation bolts are an essential component in construction industry. The specifications of the bolts are an important segment of manufacturing the bolts. The manufacturers give special attention to the quality of the foundation bolts. They have to have a high strength to keep the equipment and frame set ups of industries in proper orientations.